Sunday, September 20, 2009

9-12 Nonsense

My landlord, Guy, is a pretty big fool.  He held me hostage for about 45 minutes yesterday afternoon so he could rant about how "there was a MASSIVE protest on 9-12 that the "mainstream media" missed!".

I don't know how many of you heard about this fox news fabrication, but I told him what I knew.

Me:  "I read that fox news invented this 9-12 movement to protest Obama.  I guess Glenn Beck was hyping it?"

Guy:  "Where did you read that?  Cause none of the big corporate news outlets got it!"

Me:  "Well, the New York Times, for one.  And Fox News was covering it extensively.  I mean, they are the most watched cable news station.  Pretty mainstream."

Guy:  "Well, everyone else missed it.  I mean, it was massive!  I had friends there, and there were funny posters and signs and stuff."  FYI:  Guy is not an avowed Fox Watcher, though he said his main source of info on this event came from a blog he is a member of ("It has over 9000 members!")

Me: "Well what were they protesting?"

Guy: "Spending!"

Me:  "Seems like they were just protesting Obama.  I mean, I heard it was "astroturfing", sponsored by some really well-endowed conservative lobbying corporations."

Guy:  "Well no!  It was totally by the people.  No sponsorship.  You know, real people who can only give a little. Also, just because there were no white people they said it was RACIST!"

Me:  "Hmmm..."

At that point, knowing that Guy is a real paranoid who sees conspiratorial connections in many unlikely places I decided to let him run the conversation.  He and I did agree that government is essentially the tool of corporate interests, but I'm sure our solutions to the problem would be entirely opposed.  Inevitably the one-sided discussion turned to finance and "the government printing money to solve the problem".  I have little say about things that are artificial and imaginary tools for rich people to get richer, so I couldn't speculate alongside his wild suspicions.

Anyway, in case you haven't been following this 9-12 nonsense as obsessively as myself I will include some commentary links.  It is bound to amuse.

No corporate sponsors!?  Take a look at their own website with its "grassroots" sponsorship: 9-12 DC
Of course, the various sponsors are not blatantly corporate, but it is fact that they are astroturfing offshoots of big lobbying entities:Freedom?Works?
(@ 912dc.org, I really love the use of red fists pumping over the capitol!  Radical!)

Mainstream media! Grrrr! You LIE!

It was a massive protest against spending!  I really got off on this assertion, mostly because of the fraudulent reporting on the size of the event.  Between 1-2 million people!  No, more like 60,000

Also, was it really about spending?






Smaller Gov't!!!  Really, how stupid are these people?


Finally, I really love Bill Moyers.

Once again, thanks goes out to Fox News for  sowing the idiotscape with the seeds of idiocy.

4 comments:

  1. The Fox News conservatives in this country must radiate gamma waves, because every time I see, hear, or read about them, I want to turn into the Incredible Hulk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. should I fear Guy if I'm so lucky as to meet him tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe he'll think it's you who smashed his windows after he comes across this blog

    ReplyDelete